Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Speech that won me prize

Speech that won me “Better Speaker Award“

This speech is the most memorable one…..not only for the prize it secured me..but for the circumstances under which I was awarded the prize. The competition was between the unequals….only thing that made me compete was…………. passing the CS final exams at a very young age that made me the youngest amongst 30 CS final pass outs.

This speech has another significance ….as I secured the second prize whereas a person with almost 15 years of experience took the third prize. I felt as if I can talk and communicate better than a person working in Managerial cadre at Capital IQ.

It was the session on Enhancing Communication skills at the Training Programme and the faculty asked the participants to come and speak on “the happiest moment of life” So I started…….

“good evening friends………..at the outset, I would like to say that most of the moments in my life are happiest moments , this doesn’t mean that there were no hurdles and neither was my life a bed of roses…..well, there were horns too, but were very few I feel. Am here today to share the happiest moment of my life….for this I should go to flashback for about 3 and half years ..that is June 23, 2003….being a CS student, the date appears to be odd coz it is neither the date of results nor the date of exams. It is the day when I was declared the 23rd ranker on National level in CS foundation exams.

The postman brought the magazine at about 5 pm in the evening and till 5.15 pm I went back for 8 months. Wherein I used to struggle and work for about 10-12 hours a day. ..wake up at 4.30 AM, take the bus at 5.30……attend coaching classes ,then degree college and then rush to tuitions and again sit and read. Coming from a Maths background, it was really tough for me to cope up with Commerce. All the words like Balance sheet, Profit & Loss Account were like Greek and Latin for me. And when I joined the coaching classes, my classmates, surpassed me and I had to work hard more than them to succeed. All these moments flashed in my mind for 15 minutes. I started shouting with joy and parents came out to see what it was. And when I showed them the page…..where my name was printed…tears rolled down their cheeks. Today, I may be holding a good position in my office and earn a fat pay packet but the spark I saw in my parents’ eyes on that day…is not visible today. This clearly shows that, its neither money nor position that matters…..its wholly the emotions.

This was in fact the first time when someone’s name appeared in a magazine in my family. The happiness of my family is really memorable. The moments of that day are still fresh in my mind and it is the happiest moment in my life. The success is not only mine but also that of my family who supported me all through the hard days of my career, and special thanks to my brother .

Finally, I would like to thank all of you for giving me this golden opportunity and special thanks to Suryanarayana Sir who gave us an opportunity to speak on the happiest moment…..Sir, we have many opportunities where we can speak on various issues, but people hardly ask us to share such emotions. Thank you once again sir, thank you one and all.”

No comments:

About Me

Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, India
Company Secretary